Ahh the dreaded cellulite! Something we all fight against and often times feel insecure about, especially as we approach bathing suit weather. What if I told you there are ways to reduce it’s appearance?! Yes, it’s true although cellulite affects 90% of women and 10% of men there are ways to combat it.
But first let’s really define cellulite. Cellulite is when the connective tissue weakens and fat escapes through it causing a dimple like appearance that we term cellulite. Women experience it more so than men because we have thinner skin than males do. Although cellulite is inevitable for most of us it can be reduced and here’s how!
1. Dry brushing– Dry brushing is an ancient technique that is used to move around lymphatic tissue. Our lymphatic system is one of the primary detox organs in our body and requires movement to do it’s job effectively. By moving the lymphatic system you activate your body into an encouraged state for detox. Since we have so many different detox pathways, the more that are open the better our ability to rid toxins becomes!
2. Grapefruit essential oil- Grapefruit essential oil helps balance your blood sugar and regulate your metabolism. You can rub 1-2 drops into the area of cellulite on your body and it can help diminish its appearance, add 1-2 drops in your water or have some fresh grapefruit each day. It helps circulation and detoxification of your body plus it’s great for helping to kick cravings!
3. Eat fat– Fat is a slow burning energy form for the body whereas carbohydrates or sugars are fast burning. When we eat fat our bodies metabolize it into energy rather than store it. When we eat sugar our bodies use it right away and store the rest as fat. It’s a common misconception that fat makes you fat, really sugar makes you fat and fat burns fat!
4. Build Muscle– Which way is the beach? No seriously, the more muscle tone we have the greater reduction in our cellulite appearance. This is because muscle burns calories at a faster rate, therefore placing you in a quicker fat burning mode given the fact your nutrition is good. In addition muscle creates a smoother, more even skin tone therefore reducing the appearance of cellulite.
5. Balance your hormones– Our hormones play a huge role in how we metabolism our food and regulate many of our bodies symptoms. By working with a nutritionist to balance your hormones you can dramatically reduce large fluctuations in weight that contribute to the storage and usage of energy in your body.
There you have a few easy tips to implement. However let’s not forget the importance of loving our bodies no matter how they look! They work so hard to keep us alive and well each day the least we can do is pay it forward with love and gratitude!